The main economic activity of the parish of Canhas is agriculture.
The territory takes its name from one of its first settlers, João de Canha, who was squire to D. Diogo, Duke of Viseu.
It is an attractive town, known for its monuments:
- Santa Teresa do Menino Jesus, comprising an alcove and a statue of Jesus on the cross above. It is adorned with three arches in stonework around
- The Via Sacra.
- Senhor da Montanha is the access road to Paul da Serra.
- Nossa Senhora da Serra.
There is also a water clock there, built in 1890, which used to help regulate the distribution of water.
Enjoy the neo-mannerist and neo-baroque parish church built in the 18th century and remodelled in the twentieth century.
In this village you can also visit the Nossa Senhora dos Anjos Chapel, a mannerist building with a rectangular floor plan founded in the 15th century and restored in the 19th century, with a neoclassical altarpiece carved in white and gold.
The rural parish of Canhas is worth visiting as it offers beautiful walks along the plateau of Paul da Serra. Each year this town holds the cane fair, an event that celebrates the prevailing cultivation of sugar cane, from which the spirit is extracted to create certain drinks and delicacies.