Near the Rua Dr. Fernão de Ornelas, the busiest in Madeira's capital, is located the fantastic Farmers Market which rear and side doors have exit to the historic center of Funchal.
This is the heart pulses of the city, an authentic and graceful museum. Here, focus the traders of agricultural products, handicrafts, flowers and fish of the region.
It's a real exhibition, which presents the best products and you have the opportunity to taste some of the fruits of the region. The most beautiful flowers are sold by florists who have dressed up with the traditional costume.
The market was built in 1940 and it is a project by Edmundo Tavares, whose interior space is organized into small "squares", "plazas", "streets" and "stairways" where are sold products of all kinds, mixed colors, sounds, smells and people from all around the world. On the lower floor can be found for sale fish and meat, while in the first floor are tropical fruits, vegetables, spices and handicrafts for all tastes.
The front and the fish market are decorated with large panels of tiles of the Faience Batisttini from Maria of Portugal from 1940 and are painted with regional themes by João Rodrigues. The market has a covered area of 9.600 m2, created at the time to supply a population of 25.000 inhabitants.