Quinta Vigia Viewpoint - Madeira Island
Originally, the Vigia Manor was called Angústias Manor, as a result of an existing seventeenth century chapel that invoked Our Lady of Angústia.
This beautiful place is located between the Santa Catarina Park and the Casino and houses the official residence of the President of the Government of the Autonomous Region of Madeira. It is much sought after for its fantastic gardens and viewpoint, whose superb view extends from the Bay of Funchal to Garajau in Caniço.
Several personalities passed in this manor of baroque and neoclassical civil architecture. Among them, Nicholas de la Tueliére, the Count of Lambert, Queen Adelaide of England and Empress Amelia the widow of Pedro IV who stayed there in 1852.
In 1979, the Regional Government bought the manor and the Conservatory of Music of Madeira worked there for some time. Then, in 1984, became the official residence of the President of the Regional Government of Madeira.