Frederico de Freitas House Museum
The Casa-Museu Frederico de Freitas is a stately home. The former residence of the wealthy Counts of Calaça was known in previous times as Casa da Calçada. This historic 17th century monument is situated in Calçada de Santa Clara in São Pedro.
The building, which was identified as a palace in the 19th century press, has undergone successive renovations and extensions, some of a romantic nature that is still noticeable. This Palace was acquired in 1978 by the regional government who converted it into a museum, from 1999.
Earlier, in 1914, the house was leased by Madeiran lawyer and collector Frederico de Freitas who lived there for about 40 years, collecting an impressive array of artwork ranging from pieces of sculpture, paintings, furniture and engraved ceramics, of national and foreign origin.
Today a museum, this space offers three distinct routes:
- The Casa da Calçada that reveals the inside of the property, the experiences of the collector, its treasures and one of the rare and beautiful gardens that still exist in the city which retains its traditional features like the layout of the flowerbeds, the pebbled pavement, the strip of vineyard and the Casinha de Prazer.
- The Casa dos Azulejos which is an authentic journey from the 13th century to the present day, highlighting the Islamic and European production through medieval pieces, majolica, a collection of Dutch tiles and an important core of domestic manufacture.
- The visitor is invited to also visit the Temporary Exhibition area which has contributed to the disclosure of various art works.
The Casa-Museu Frederico de Freitas has as its aim the study, preservation and disclosure of the museum and its collections, and is therefore equipped with educational services.