Estreito de Câmara de Lobos
It is impossible not to mention wine production when talking about Estreito de Câmara de Lobos. This agricultural parish is an important commercial centre and is responsible for growing a large proportion of the grapes used in the production of the famous Madeira wine. The importance of winemaking is such that the parish was a headline act at the Wine Harvest Festival which extends also to Funchal.
Estreito has several hotels and restaurants, sought after by many who want to try the regional skewered meat.
The historical heritage of the Estreito de Câmara de Lobos parish includes the Nossa Senhora da Graça church, built in the 18th century and boasting great architecture, including the chapel and the main body, painted in blue and gold. The shrine is gilded and the chapel has beautiful paintings by João António Villavicêncio from the 18th century.
Other points of interest:
The chapel of Santo António, commissioned by José de Brito to replace an existing chapel which was built in 1705 and was in a poor state.
The chapel of Santa Ana which was built in 1768 and rebuilt in the mid-twentieth century. The chapel is very basic; it has only some steps for the altar and the basin for the holy water, as well as a canvas showing Santa Ana teaching her daughter.
Nossa Senhora da Encarnação Chapel. This temple dates back to 1671, when the scion John João José de Ornelas Cabral had it built.
The Church of Garachico or Church of Nossa Senhora Bom Sucesso was built in 1963 in the same place where there was a chapel dating back to 1777.
The Calvário Chapel was built to celebrate Via Sacra, the height of Lent.
The Civic Centre of Estreito, in the heart of the parish, is a multipurpose space that is used for concerts, plays, exhibitions, and conferences.
In Estreito market the aromas and variety of farm products are an attraction in themselves. On Sunday mornings, this place fills up with people from various parts of the island.
Another point of interest of this place is Levada do Norte, a very popular footpath which can be accessed from Calvário, just beyond the Church of Nossa Senhora da Graça.