Very close to the center of Funchal, Santa Luzia is known for the beauty of its manors. The parish was established in 1676 by decree of King D. Pedro II. On its location was the former Convent of Encarnação, and an old Seminary building. Later it functioned as seat of the local government and then as a high school.
One of the monuments to visit in this parish is the Church of Santa Luzia, located on Rua de Santa Luzia, it is a church with baroque and neo-baroque characteristics, built in the first half of the XVIII century and enriched with paintings from the XVII century and silverware from XVII and XVIII centuries.
In the city center, Santa Luzia also has one of the lungs of the capital Funchal, the Public Gardens of Santa Luzia. With a green area of about 17 000 m2, this space was occupied in the past by the Hinton Factory, a regional powerhouse in the production of brandy and sugar whose role was particularly important for the sugar industry of Madeira.
The garden features a terrace, a playground and is decorated with a huge diversity of plants. It is still possible to see the huge old chimney of the Hinton Factory.